Visitor Visas

Visitor visas are non-immigrant visas that allow for temporary entry into the United States for either a business purpose or for non-business purposes such as vacation, tourism, or medical treatment. Visitor visas are split into two categories: B-1 Business Visitor Visas and B-2 Tourism and Visit Visas.

When You Need a B-1 Business Visitor Visa

  1. You’re a professional athlete participating in a tournament or sporting event in the United States.
  2. You’re attending a meeting, conference or exploring a business investment opportunity.
  3. You’re selling products to U.S. consumers

When You Need a B-2 Tourism and Visit Visa

  1. You’re traveling to the United States to visit friends or family.
  2. You’re taking a vacation in the United States.
  3. You’re seeking medical treatment in the United States.

Validity period and duration of stay

As with other non-immigrant U.S. visas, a B1/B2 visa has a validity period (from 1 to 10 years), allows for either one or multiple entries into the U.S, and elicits a period of stay (3–6 months) recorded by the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry on the individual’s form I-94.

Validity periods per country are listed in the U.S. Department of State Visa Reciprocity Tables and vary from 3 months for Iran, 1 year multientry for China, 3 years for Russia, and 5 years for Australia, to 10 years for Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa and most European Countries.

Periods of stay for B-1 visas may be granted initially for a duration long enough to allow the visitor to conduct their business, up to a maximum of 6 months, and can be extended for another 6 months; B-1 visas usually granted for three months or less, while B-2 visas are generally granted for six months. Extensions are possible, provided the individual has not violated the conditions of their admission.

A Border Crossing Card (BCC), also called a laser visa, has a 10-year validity and functions as both a BCC and a B1/B2 visitor’s visa.

Uses of a B1/B2 visa

Business or pleasure cover a wide variety of possible reasons to visit the United States. Under the category of temporary visitor for business, it can be used to:

  • Negotiate and sign contracts
  • Purchase supplies or materials
  • Hold business meetings or attend/exhibit at a convention
  • Settle an estate
  • Sit different types of exams and tests held inside the United States
  • Perform certain professional services.

Under the category of temporary visitor for pleasure, a B2 visa can be used to:

  • Travel within the US
  • Visit family or friends
  • Participate in activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature
  • Obtain medical treatment

The B2 visa can also be used by cohabiting (unmarried) partners of non-immigrant visa holders.

Tags: , ,

Practice Areas

Fears | Nachawati Law Firm was established to represent and help individuals and businesses by developing effective and creative problem solving strategies. Leveraging our broad skillset and knowledgeable attorneys, we are able to offer our clients exceptional legal services coupled with a strong focus on customer service. Our mission is to empower our clients to succeed in all that they endeavor.

More Areas of Practice


Inquiry Type

  • General
  • Personal Injury
  • Immigration
  • Bankruptcy
  • Drug Litigation
  • Family Law


With offices in Texas, Florida and Colorado and attorneys licensed in Texas, Florida, Colorado, Arkansas and Oklahoma, Fears | Nachawati is dedicated to attaining the best possible solutions for our clients’ business and personal needs. We strive to be professionals who are creative, empathetic and reliable.

All Areas Served

We Can Help

Contact Fears Nachawati today

Free Consulation

Live Chat (Online Now)